For fast-paced teams, exporting Jira issues is a crucial function. Simplifying the process is the point of both the Better PDF app by Midori and our own Speedy PDF.
One of the most frequently asked questions we get is, “what’s the difference between the two?”
This is not a Coke vs. Pepsi challenge. As eQMS consultants first, we appreciate all that Midori’s app brings to the table. We created the Speedy PDF app to accelerate and simplify the PDF sign-off process for busy teams.
There are notable differences between the two apps, and the right tool depends on what you need. So let’s dive in to see which tool serves best your needs.
A quick comparison: Speedy PDF vs. Better PDF Exporter
Speedy PDF highlights:
- Exporting Jira issues as PDF files within a single flow and in a single click.
- Automatically triggers eSignature requests from designated parties.
- Captures all related documentation and approvals in a single PDF export.
- Stores each signed PDF file, linked to Jira, in a location of your choice.
- The standard export layout is designed to be visually appealing and easy to read.
- Free App.
Better PDF Exporter highlights:
Export a variety of Jira items to PDF, including single issues, issue lists, dashboards, and timesheets.
- Includes a wide range of export designs like Release Notes, story cards, and invoices.
- Allows you to customize the export fully.
- Does not capture electronic signatures.
- Requires a paid subscription.
What is Speedy PDF For Jira?
If your team runs on Jira, then chances are that there are milestones when Jira issues require legally binding signatures. Speedy was created for this purpose. With one click, you can generate a beautiful PDF and route it to everyone who needs to sign it. Ensuring you pass audits and make better products overall.
Speedy PDF currently supports a single export layout with these variants:
- You may include or exclude attachments. When included, attachments are embedded fully within the PDF (and can be extracted from the PDF itself). This makes the Speedy export a true archive copy of the Jira issue.
- You can include or exclude the issue comments in the export.
The signed PDF is then stored in a storage location you select (e.g. a Google drive) so that it is never lost. It is also linked directly to the Jira issue. This makes it easy to see the Speedy PDFs that were created and signed from each issue.
Getting Speedy PDF installed and creating your first signed PDF is simple. Plus, since Speedy is a free app, you don’t even need budget approval!
Once installed, simply connect the app to a central storage location, such as a Google drive. By selecting that external storage site, you ensure that you always have your signed Speed-eRecords available for audit — even if the original Jira issues have since been deleted.
What is Better PDF Exporter for Jira?
Better PDF Exporter for Jira is a very flexible way to exporting Jira issues and other items as PDF files. The app comes with approximately 20 different export layouts (called “templates”) out of the box. It also provides a scripting platform so you can design a custom layout. From the choice of font size to adding your logo and cherry-picking the Jira fields included in the export, Better PDF allows you to tailor the look of PDFs.
The app also goes beyond the export of a single issue. You can export issues in bulk and even export a Jira dashboard.
While a paid subscription, the value of using Better PDF is that it supports creativity and flexibility for those who desire specific or custom PDF layouts. However, it does not enable you to create an electronic trail of official sign-offs.
The bottom line
Unlike Coke and Pepsi, which are basically the same thing (apologies to Coca-Cola and PepsiCo!), Speedy PDF for Jira and Better PDF Exporter are distinctive and serve different purposes. The only overlap is that they both empower you when exporting Jira issues into PDFs.
Speedy PDF is for users who could benefit from approving issues electronically with an official sign-off and have them archived in an orderly manner (without requiring any hands-on organization) from within Jira.
Better PDF Exporter provides excellent flexibility with your Jira PDF exports. From timesheets to invoices and reports, you can export customized information from Jira into a useful PDF.
Both apps are available on the Atlassian marketplace:
We hope this has answered your questions about the differences and uses cases for Speedy PDF for Jira and Better PDF Exporter. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Blog posts in this series:
- Password Protection and OTPs, authenticating your eSignature
- 4 Ways Speedy External Storage Can Improve Your Workflow
- From Jira Cloud to Microsoft Sharepoint with Speedy PDF Sign-Offs